Job Title: Thin Film Coating Technician
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Salary: Competitive / DOE
Novosound is an award-winning Scottish sensors company utilising thin-film processes to eliminate conventional limitations in ultrasound sensors. We specialise in the design and manufacture of ultrasound sensor solutions for non-destructive testing, continuous monitoring and complex inspections. Key markets include Oil & Gas, Energy, Aerospace, Medical, Dental, Veterinary, and Wearable Healthcare.
As a Thin Film Coating Technician, you will be responsible for all stages of thin film deposition processing, including substrate preparation, maintenance and operation of the deposition machine and testing of the deposited material.
Reporting to our Operations Manager, the role requires an individual with relevant experience from an industrial background. You must be motivated, diligent and have excellent attention to detail. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required in order to communicate results to the relevant Production and Engineering teams. This is a new and developing role, and as such you will be required to perform duties such as writing process documentation and contributing to the continuous development of the deposition processes.
- Appropriate industrial qualification
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of thin film coating processes; particularly reactive plasma sputtering deposition
- Experience of operating automated coating equipment
- Technically competent; able to use a variety of hand tools and scientific equipment
- Good manual dexterity for handling process materials
- Good computer literacy; proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and able to learn how to use various software as required (Novosound is a paper-free office)
- Excellent attention to detail and attitude to quality
- Self-directed and motivated in a team environment
- Adaptable, flexible and quick to learn
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good organisational skills and able to prioritise tasks and work to schedules
- Excellent attitude to health & safety and quality management systems in the workplace
- Flexible regarding occasional additional hours to maintain deposition schedule
- Execution of work to meet daily and weekly planned schedules
- Effective communication of schedule conflicts and proposed solutions to Management
- Operation and maintenance of the deposition machine and associated production equipment, including external maintenance requirements
- Pre-deposition material preparation
- Post-deposition material processing including quality testing (may include testing at the University of the West of Scotland)
- Co-ordination of process consumables with Procurement and suppliers
- Input of data to relevant databases and trackers, and monitoring process yields
- Participation in process reviews when required
- Completion of training on new processes and equipment in line with business needs
- Health and Safety: comply with all safe working practices and proactively notify management of any H&S issues/concerns
- Other responsibilities or tasks that are within your skills and abilities, whenever reasonably instructed
Adjustments may be made by Novosound as required, in line with business requirements.
*We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive a high volume of applicants.